Paddle Williamstown 2012 Photo Contest Official Rules & Policies
1. Artists retain copyright of their images at all times. No ifs or buts about it.
2. Paddle Williamstown 2012 Photo Contest strives to promote the preservation, improvement and enjoyment of Williamstown Lake.
3. Paddle Williamstown 2012 Photo Contest (herein after The Contest) is open to photographers 13 years of age or older at the time of entry and who are registered participants in the 2012 Paddle Williamstown event.
4. All Paddle Williamstown organizers and their immediate family members, as well as event volunteers are ineligible to enter.
In order to be eligible to participate in The Contest, all photographers
must agree to and obey all the Rules & Policies set forth by the
organizers. Upon registration, all photographers are required to
acknowledge said agreement. Registration can be done electronically or
by mail. (Entry forms will be available starting August 24th,
2012) If mailing, send form
and a disk with your pictures to:
Paddle Williamstown Photo Contest
P.O. Box 147
Williamstown, KY. 41097
This agreement is necessary for a valid entry to be accepted. Photographers who are under age 18 must have a parent or guardian process their entry form. If processing it online, once you have filled and submitted your entry form, proceed to upload your photos via the link provided on the website.
6. Images will be stored and displayed on the Paddle Williamstown website and Facebook page.
7. Artists retain copyright of their images at all times, but by entering the contest, they agree to grant The Contest and Paddle Williamstown a non-exclusive, limited license for editorial uses, promotional purposes, advertising, and/or the production of merchandise items relating to the promotion or advertising of the event for a total of 2 years. No additional compensation (other than the original prize) will be made to photographers, and a photographer’s eligibility in this competition is contingent upon this agreement. Proper photo credit will be given to each published photograph; in the event of an erroneous oversight or misprint, the publishing company, the magazine, the competition officials, and related agencies will not be held liable for real or perceived “damages.” In addition, winning and honorable mention entries will be stored in a “Winners” archive only to show past winning entries.
All photographs must have been captured during Paddle Williamstown, on
August 25th, 2012. Entries can be submitted starting August
27th and no later than September 7th, 2012.
For mailed in entries, materials must be postmarked by September 7th, 2012. The Contest will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, damaged, late or misdirected entries or for failure to receive entries due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or The Contest.
The Contest is open to amateur photographers only.
Any person who earns at least 40% of his/her income as a
photographer will be considered a “professional”, and disqualified.
There are three (3) categories. Photographers may enter no more than two
(2) photos per category. Categories are: (1) Any Scape, (2)
Human Interest and (3) Abstract. The definitions of each
category are listed below. All decisions by the judges are final.
(1) Any Scape is defined as scenic view or overview of a particular location or event, showing the area’s terrain. It may include landmarks and geological highlights, as well as land, sky, bodies of water and crowds.
(2) Human Interest is as an image that illustrates human interaction with nature. The image may show or imply a person or persons engaged in an outdoor activity or encountering/experiencing nature in some manner. The image may show or imply a person’s presence via a shadow, reflection, or silhouette for example. The subject(s) must be outdoors.
(3) Abstract is an image where the subject is not readily identifiable or only shows part of a whole subject. Consider lines, patterns, textures, and/or subject movement for greater appeal. Originality, creativity in composing and executing an image will be taken into account.
11. Judges reserve the right to disqualify any entry that is deemed obscene, offensive or otherwise inappropriate for viewing by a general audience.
12. A panel of qualified judges, selected by The Contest, will select the finalists from among all eligible entries after the contest deadline, judging all eligible entries according to four criteria and equal weight will be given to each criterion. All judges’ decisions are final.
- Artistic merit, clarity and composition
- Technical quality
- Originality in representation of the theme
- Emotional impact of the image
13. Photographers are restricted from altering their images in any way that affects the original scene at the time of capture. Most image modifications, via Adobe Photoshop or similar software programs, are NOT acceptable. All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared at the time of capture. Nothing should be added to the image; and other than minor dust spots, nothing should be removed. Slight cropping, minor color and contrast adjustments are acceptable when applied to the entire image. The use of “layers” to make adjustments is NOT acceptable. Images that violate or undermine the integrity of these rules will be disqualified. Winners might be asked to show the original raw file as proof that no excessive cropping or adjustments were performed onto the image as submitted, if there is a question in the judges’ opinion.
14. PRIZES: 3 Grand Prizes will be awarded (best overall per category) and include a framed print of the winning entry and an event T-Shirt. Both 2nd, and 3rd place winners for each category will receive a print of their entry. Other prizes may be awarded for each category at the discretion of The Contest. Prizes are not transferable. The Contest reserves the right to substitute any prize with another of equal or greater value.
Photographers and/or their families will hold harmless officials and
judges of The Contest, its sponsors and subsidiaries, and/or its
designee, event sponsors and vendors, and their employees and/or
volunteers in the event of loss, personal injury, or death as a result
of participating in The Contest. Photographers are solely responsible
for their own well-being, safety, and protection—even though safety
rules and/or regulations may be in place in designated areas. A
photographer’s eligibility in this competition is contingent upon this
agreement. In the case of a photographer under the age of 18, a parent
or guardian must consent to these terms and conditions.
By entering the contest, contestant certifies that the submitted image(s) is/are his/her own original work, that the image does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the photograph.
16. Winner Notification and Acceptance. Winners will be notified on or about September 24th, 2012 via the telephone number or e-mail address submitted with their entries. Winners’ names will also be posted on http://www.wtownky.org. Failure to reach winner by phone or failure to respond to electronic mail may result in disqualification of winner, forfeiture of his or her interest in all prizes, and selection of a substitute winner from among all remaining eligible entries. Winners may waive their right to receive prizes. Prizes are nontransferable. No substitutions allowed by winner. Prizes and individual components of prize packages are subject to availability and contest organizer reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. Winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes. Winners may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility/liability certifying that the entrant’s submission is entrant’s original work, that entrant owns right to the work and that entrant has complied with the Official Rules of the Contest, and a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law) which must be returned within ten (10) days of date of personal delivery or date of postmark. Failure to sign and return the affidavit or release within ten (10) days, or to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, may result in a winner’s disqualification, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the prize, and the award of the prize to a substitute winner. Except where prohibited, acceptance of any prize constitutes winner’s consent to the publication of his or her name, biographical information and likeness in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose in relation to the contest without limitation. Prizes not won and claimed by eligible winners in accordance with these Official Rules will not be awarded and will remain the property of organizer.